This page contains installations instructions for Windows, Mac and Linux.
Exselt for Windows
Exselt requires .NET 4.6, the installer will install it if your system does not yet have it. This may require a restart of your system before you can use Exselt. If you have installed a higher version or .NET, like NET 4.6.1 or NET 4.6.2 Preview, the processor works with it as well and installing NET 4.6 is not necessary.
Supported Windows operating systems
Exselt is built on top of .NET 4.6. If your system supports, or can install .NET 4.6, it will be able to run Exselt. The installer will take care of this for you. Full requirements for .NET 4.6 can be found here.
Windows Client versions:
- Windows Vista SP2
- Windows 7 (requires SP1)
- Windows 8
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
Windows XP and earlier are not supported. For Windows Client versions, Exselt works on all editions from Home to Ultimate both 64 bit and 32 bit editions. Exselt has not been tested with Windows RT for ARM based computers.
Windows Server versions:
- Windows 2008 SP2 (version number NT 6.1)
- Windows 2012 (version number NT 6.2)
- Windows 2012 SP2 (version number NT 6.3)
- Windows 2016 (version number NT 10.0)
For all Windows Server versions, it works on all editions from Foundation to Datacenter .
Step by step instructions for Windows
- Download Exselt from the download page.
- If you downloaded the ZIP file, extract the file
- Run the installation executable, at the end, the installer will ask for your license key
- Exselt will be added to the
exselt.exe -?in a command window to get a summary of available options (or see the online documentation).
- A simple editor with demo source files can be opened at the end of the installation to see some new features of XSLT 3.0 in action
Exselt for Mac OS X
Mono is a well-supported port of .NET for Linux and Mac OS X. We have provided both a prepackaged bundle and a ZIP file for manual installation.
Installing bundled package on Mac OS X
You can download a bundled, prepackaged with Mono, version of Exselt directly from here (this download location is temporary and meant for visitors of XML London). To install, unpack the tar file to your preferred directory and call the
exselt script file in the root directory start Exselt. Use
exselt -? to get a list of options.
After installation, for convenience, you can add Exselt to your path by executing the following commandlines:
sudo ln -s /path/to/package/exselt /usr/bin/exselt sudo chmod +rx /usr/bin/exselt
After you executed these commands (change the path to wherever you extracted the files), you can call Exselt by typing
Manual installation on Mac OS X
To install Exselt manually on a Mac system, follow the following instructions:
- Download and install Mono 4.4 (or se direct download link) or higher, this is currently a beta build of Mono (current version, which is confirmed to work with Exselt, is 18.104.22.168, you are advised to install this version or a later version)
- Download Exselt for Mac OS ZIP file, which is temporarily available for free download (primarily for XML London 2016)
- Extract the tar and run the command
mono ./Exselt.exefrom the location where you placed it
- Alternatively, you can download a complete package at once, see next section